by Anthony Arnoldi, Board Certified Master Arborist
When Larry Wachtel founded Wachtel Tree Science in 1935, he was a pioneer in professional tree care, and valued the importance of his employees’ continuing education in the industry along with their commitment to professional organizations. This approach was rare then, but helped to kindle the improvement in knowledge, safety, and professionalism that the industry has benefited from.
Larry was president of the National Arborist Association in 1949, received the Distinguished Service Award from the Wisconsin Arborist Association (WAA), and was an Honorary Life Member of the WAA and the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA). Wachtel Tree Science was instrumental in the formation and advancement of these national and local organizations, and it continues that commitment to this day.
Many of our clients chose Wachtel Tree Science for their tree care work because of our company culture, educational backgrounds and commitment to the communities we serve.
- We strive for every member of our field staff to be college educated (6 Associate, 30 Bachelors & 3 Master’s degrees).
- Our Arborists maintain Certification in the care of trees through the International Society of Arboriculture.
- We have more Certified Arborists and Board Certified Master Arborists on staff than any other tree care company in Wisconsin with 30.
- Wachtel has achieved Accreditation (#WI-002) from The Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA) – one of the first tree care companies in the country to become accredited. This program is built upon the threefold foundation of ethics, quality, and consumer confidence, aimed at safeguarding consumers.
We still embrace the respect and commitment Larry Wachtel had for the industry. This is why our arborists are, and will always be, committed to our communities and our professional organizations. Our staff includes:
- Past Presidents (and the current President!) of the Wisconsin Arborist Association.
- Board Member of the WAA and Chairs of numerous WAA, ISA and TCIA Committees.
- Board member of the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA).
- Our President, Dave Scharfenberger, recently received the Volunteer of the Year award from TCIA.
- Two Municipal Specialists (credential from ISA).
- Three Certified Tree Safety Professionals (CTSP credential from TCIA) to help maintain and advance our culture of safety.
Our long history of performing and advancing tree care correctly gives our clients the value of knowing that their trees will receive the care that they really need. This includes the confidence that it will be done safely to protect their trees, the people that work on them, their property, and their family. Along with the confidence that we have been around for 80 years, saving and protecting trees with proven, recognized results, and that we will be around for a long time to come.
We invite you to share your trees with us so that we can make more wonderful history together.